A Principal Architect level position responsible for building the firm's Educational practice group by engaging in the following markets:
1. Transitional Kindergarten – 12th Grade
2. Community Colleges
3. Higher Education
4. Charter Schools
This leadership position will report directly to the President. They will be responsible for helping the firm expand its presence and obtain public education architectural commissions throughout Northern California. Applicants must have the mind of a creative strategist, the personality to network with prospective clients, and significant experience in the funding, design and construction of public education facilities. The successful applicant must also possess strong client leadership and project management skills, proven business development skills and passion, along with experience leading programming and presenting early design phases to school boards. Strong sustainability experience is preferred though not essential.
This is a profit sharing position based on the financial performance of the Education Market Sector.
Primary Responsibilities: This leadership position consists of the following responsibilities.
1. Business Development
• Partners with other Principals (CEO, President and COO) to develop marketing strategy and initiatives that are in alignment with practice group and firm-wide goals
• Creates the initial contacts and develop relationships with key strategic clients in the public and private education markets throughout California with a particular focus on the Northern California market.
• Creates, grow and maintain client relationships and to develop organizational relationships between the firm and the client organization.
2. Marketing & Sales
• Identifies, builds and maintains client/consultant/agency business relationships and network
• Collaborates with the marketing department to identify and respond to opportunities, coordinating with the President as needed.
• Develops the strategy and drafting of responses to RFQ and RFP requests.
• Prepares content for interviews and presentations.
• Through networking, research and lead qualification, identifies project pursuit opportunities;
• Develops and maintains client information and lead tracking database;
• Generates reports, correspondence and content for marketing materials;
• Represents the firm by attending appropriate professional organizations and events;
• Oversees marketing budget and monitors, tracks and forecasts expenses.
3. Project Leadership
• Coordinates the client design and budget objectives with the project design team to satisfy the client goals.
• Does what is takes to get the project funded, contracted and started and is the client leader / architect of record for the firm's project team.
• Delegates project management to a firm project architect/project manager.
• Maintains the client relationship and monitors project progress throughout project delivery.
• Accountable for financial performance of each market sector project.
1. Proven track record of securing project contracts from multiple public and private education clients in California.
2. Experience in programming, schematic design and presentations to School Boards
3. Experience in OPSC and State Grant Qualifications and Funding.
4. Knowledge of Traditional Project Delivery, Design Build and Lease-Lease Back Delivery methods and related contract administration.
Market Sector Leader Skills and Traits
• A strong, likable presence and interpersonal communication skills
• Effective team player
• Positive attitude
• Strong verbal skills for presentations
• Strong proposal and letter writing skills
• Intelligent, collaborative and articulate
• Ability to balance a broad scope of activities
• Strong management and leadership skills
• Self-starter with high-energy, focus and intellectual curiosity with the ability to think strategically and contribute at a high level.
• Appreciation of graphic content and branding implications.
• Well organized, detail oriented and able to successfully honor multiple deadlines.
• Proficiency with the following Software: Word, Excel, Deltek Vision - InDesign ideal
• Knowledge in primary architectural platforms such as AutoCAD, Revit and SketchUp
• Available for travel
• Ability to negotiate and procure clients in the Education Market by way of Response to Qualifications/ Proposals and general relationship based strategies