A multi-disciplinarian A/E/C firm is looking for a Estimator provide pre-construction services for various aspects of new and remedial construction management projects throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. We are looking for local candidates with the following experience and qualifications. This position will be based out of either our Oakland or Palo Alto, CA headquarters office.
• Review quantity take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all items incorporated in the assigned scope.
• Take lead role in lump sum bids.
• Review drawings, specifications and all other construction documents. Make senior management aware of design-related problems, completeness of documents and other potential risks.
• Work in conjunction with Operations to ensure that detailed General Conditions/Requirements estimates are prepared, and review with others as needed.
• Responsible for the maintaining bid/budget scopes and evaluations.
• Oversees the quantity surveying, estimates, value engineering process during preconstruction for the assigned projects.
• Manage the Estimating Engineers and Assistant Estimating Engineers, including completing performance evaluations.
• Ensure strict adherence to safety, QA/QC, ethics and compliance requirements at all times.
• Manage the allocation of work hours for staff assigned to projects to ensure it is within budgetary guidelines.
• Communicate and collaborate with Operations and Purchasing during preconstruction efforts.
• Develop and enhance owner, architect, subcontractor and vendor relations.
• Analyze cost data, unit prices, back-page costs, and information that can be developed and used as a “rule of thumb” for all building systems estimated costs.
• Responsible for the preparation of preliminary estimates and studies during preconstruction to monitor design development cost trends in order to detect over-runs and potential problem areas.
• Ensure assigned tasks are completed and delivered with timeframes allotted.
• Assists Purchasing in the subcontractor solicitation process and evaluating and analyzing subcontractor proposals.
• Derive systems quantities from BIM models and other estimating software in order to provide complete estimate.
• May also assist with purchasing duties such as SAR's, Pre-qualifications and final subcontract negotiations.
• *May perform other duties as necessary or assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, building construction or similar plus two or more years as an estimating engineer following experience in project engineering, field supervision or purchasing. Knowledge of building construction, materials, systems, market conditions, trade practices. Must have the conceptual ability to work with minimum information and quickly develop an understanding of the owner/architect requirements. Should demonstrate imaginative, innovative and succinct approach to a project. Should have familiarity with the operating procedures and methods of other departments—purchasing, cost, accounting, etc. Experienced as the lead at meetings, as the point of contact in negotiations with Owner and Design Team. Demonstrated experience with managing a team of 3 or more junior estimating staff. Good leadership, verbal and written skills. Strong computer skills and a familiarity with Microsoft Office suite of programs, also Timberline and On Center software programs required. Complete knowledge of the estimating documents and the ability to provide accurate qualitative and quantitative analysis of the documents. Must be able to multitask and meet established deadlines.