Chief Financial Officer CFO / Chief Operating Officer COO
A dynamic and entrepreneurial design, architecture and urban planning firm is looking for an entrepreneurial Chief Financial Office / Chief Operating Officer (CFO/COO) to join its leadership team.
The firm has experienced significant growth over the last several years as it has built a deep portfolio of multi-family projects and relationships in the Bay Area, Southern California, and China.
The firm attributes its success to its core values of developing genuine client relationships and nurturing the next generation of architects within a studio that embodies passion, commitment, and collaboration.
As such there are tremendous opportunities for a resourceful, hands on, results-oriented leader to help guide the company through continued growth and to obtain the next level of scale.
The CFO will be a trusted business partner to the Chief Executive Officer, a key member of the senior management team and a major contributor to the company’s strategic thinking and operational excellence.
COO/CFO JOB DESCRIPTION
The CFO/COO position is responsible for the administrative, financial, risk management and operations of the company, to include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, the management of all business functions including Accounting, HR, IT and Legal, the development of a planning environment with reliable forecasts and projections, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results.
CFO Essential Duties: Lead, monitor and own the financial and accounting functions of the organization:
- Accounting Operations: develop and manage all accounting functions and team and ensure compliance, general ledger maintenance, payroll/benefit management, 401k management and accounts payable.
- Human Resources: manage the Human Resource Function of the firm including recruiting, on-boarding, performance reviews, compensation structure, and benefit offerings, developing and enforcing company policies (employee handbook), training and development, compliance, etc.
- Financial Management: monthly reporting, bank relationship management, and ensure an efficient year end close process.
- Cost Control/Management: Monitor costs and investments and make recommendations to reduce costs and maximize returns.
- Financial Planning and Monitoring: budget management, cash management and tax management.
- Project Financial Management: project accounting, consultant payables, WIP Management, and Project Planning Management.
- Key Contract Renewals: Negotiate favorable LOC terms, professional liability insurance and medical benefits.
- Collaboration: Participate in weekly Principal Meetings and monthly Billing Meetings.
- Corporate Management: Manage/Contribute to BOD Meetings and Shareholder Meetings.
- Stock Management: Manage Shareholder Transactions.
COO Essential Duties: Work in collaboration with the Partners to develop strategies, leadership and staff and maintain an efficient and effective operations.
- Strategic & Leadership Development: Assist with Key Staff recruiting, annual retreats and annual business meetings.
- Compensation and Performance Management: annual staff and compensation reviews, billing rate analysis and adjustments and principal performance management.
- Risk Management: Review project contracts and manage any legal issues including project or employee.
- Systems Management: Implementation, maintenance and customization of accounting system and reporting as well as the technical administration of any required support.
- Facilities Support: Manage leases, subleases, moves, equipment leases, purchases and financing.
FIRST YEAR MANDATE
- Develop an effective project performance environment that drives healthy revenue, productivity, utilization and profitability.
- Ensure that the firm’s project staff has a proper composition of experience, skills, and cost structure that support the effective delivery of projects, profitably.
- Build a strong accounting team, accounting system, reporting and processes to efficiently run the accounting operations of the firm and provide management with reports and insights in a timely manner.
- Efficiently and Effectively structure the Business Services teams, systems, and processes to support the vision of the firm and to help scale the firm’s operations and infrastructure within the budget of a small business.
- Build and present a results dashboard that enables the business to understand the current reality, near‐term opportunities, and its progress relative to the strategy
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization’s challenges and opportunities; gain buy‐in to execute a plan that supports the organization in making measurable and material progress towards the company’s vision
- Take full ownership for effectively managing the finances of the firm with primary accountability for financial reporting, accounting, cash management, and financial planning (budget, strategic plan, operational efficiency, etc.)
- Build trust and rapport with key internal and external stakeholders; establish presence as a reliable, trusted and valuable member of the leadership team
- Create an efficient yet analytically rigorous decision making process
- Work collaboratively with members of the leadership team to establish a highly effective long‐term plan that culminates in a clear, measurable and realistic growth strategy
- 5-7 Years of experience leading the accounting of a multi-office design or engineering firm, ideally with international experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Development of high performance teams
- Systems Implementation
A competitive salary based on candidate qualifications and experience, plus full benefits including health, dental, vision, and 401(k) benefits